Apart from an obvious homage to Ed Ruscha’s 1962 seminal artist book Twentysix Gasoline Stations, this body of work is the result of a six-year long treasure hunt in which I challenged myself to find as many derelict gas stations as I could in my native Catalonia (for those who don’t know, an area in the Northeast of the Iberian Peninsula slightly bigger than Belgium).
Twentysix Abandoned Catalan Gasoline Stations was published as a photobook by Camera Infinita Books in 2017. It has also been featured in an exhibition format at the Revela-T (Can Basté, Barcelona, 2018) and Festimatge (La Fàbrica, Calella, 2021) photography festivals in Catalonia. A selection of images from the project was also feature in issue #88 of EXIT magazine (Non-Places).
Twentysix Abandoned Catalan Gasoline Stations (the book)
- Photographs and text by Xavier Aragonès. Book design by José de Almeida.
- Published 16th June of 2017.
- 1st limited edition of 50 (210mm) / 50 (294mm).
- 26 photographs taken between 2011 and 2017.
- 60 pages, 21×21 cm | 29.4×29.4 cm. Hardcover, perfect bound.
You can purchase the book here.